Sunday, October 5, 2008

Conference Weekend - Ahhhh...

When Tony and I got married my Grandad and Granny gifted us with a year's supply of wheat...I haven't touched it since then. Until today...I had some great whole wheat waffles or pancakes at the Allred's house many, many years ago and I remembered that Tiff's dad, Doug, made them in the blender. I've never remembered to get the recipe from them - so I searched online and found one that seemed like it would work...AND IT DID!!! I got up early this morning and dug through the chaos that our garage is still in since the move, I found the wheat and got to work. The waffles turned out really well. They tasted nutty and hearty. We had lots of toppings because it was General Conference Sunday and we wanted it to feel special for the kids. I think they enjoyed the waffles - I don't know how much they got out of conference, but during dinner when I asked Julius about the speakers...he did recall someone talking about jumping rope. At least something got through!
Thanks to Amyjoy for giving me a start to a conferece activity bag and another thanks to Brenda for some great ideas to keep the kids busy while we listen.
I wasn't looking for anything too specific...Just wanted to listen and feel the warmth of the Spirit. And I got what I was looking for and then some. The thoughts that have stayed with me are ones of HOPE, FAITH and PRAYER. Actually, maybe that was the message I was looking for! I'm thankful that Tony made dinner today and that Braeden made me laugh until I cried at his version of the song "Follow the Prophet" during dinner. After Tony's taco soup everyone went outside and played in the fallen leaves. Even the babies made it out for some fresh air! I'm thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for the opportunity we had to hear from His prophet today.





4 comments:

Stacey said...

Special breakfast goes a lonng way in setting the tone for the morning, at least the Sunday morning in our house.

Looks yummy. Should have made those instead of the baked-brick I made for the Stake EmPrep. & Food Storage fair a couple of weeks ago.

Love the Hope talk too. My kids sucked in the cow and the river talk, just riveted to the couch - something I can't even do when they're in trouble!

~Stacey

Kristi M. said...

I too got the faith and hope messages from conference. Their were several speakers that touched on it. How appropriate for the times that we are in now. Conference is so tough for kids. Soon we will have to start thinking of things for Gunnar. Thankfully he played quietly the entire 2 days.

At Home! said...

You are the sweetest! Thank you for being so kind to me about my simple little blog. I think being a mom is the best thing in the world! Your children are beautiful and it is so fun to peek into your home and see what a beautiful mom you are. Makes me smile!

Camille said...

Yum! those pancakes sound so good. Did you use the wheat whole, or grind it first?